Saturday, March 23, 2013

A Sellers' Market is WAR!!! (My Velvet Glove is at the dry cleaners!!!)


I have been gently trying to convey to different buyers of late, how competitive the market is for purchasing at this moment.  I don't want to upset them with me personally to a point that they seek another agent, nor do I want to scare them into quiting the process entirely.  But...

in some cases, the latter is what is best for both parties involved. 

To be perfectly honest, I my velvet glove is at the cleaners, trying to get the blood stains out!  I try, but if that is what you really need, (more than a house) we are not a match.  You are going to get the truth here.

Folks, the fun and games have ended for buyers. All the gloves are off, not just mine!  This is all out WAR! 

War isn't fun and it's sure not pretty.  But I am not the foot soldier - you are!  I am your Captain, or perhaps your sword, leading YOU into YOUR battle.. You have to have your tank and body armor on, too!  

If you are thin skinned, or simply not competitive, this is not your time to buy.

Here is the reality of buying right now in most bay area communities:

There are a more than a hundred buyers walking though every open house in a weekend!  Thirty will likely ask for more information.  Half of those will place offers on a fixer upper, and more on one that is move in ready.  If it is a single story, you will be competing with retirees with CASH.   So ONLY those who REALLY want a new home are succeeding in this market.  Only agents who have experience and smarts are winning for their buyers! 

As mentioned, sometimes my buyers feel like I am too strident in my efforts in conveying this message and perhaps legitimately so.  Nonetheless, I would rather a ruffled or unprepared buyer walk away than ask me to do battle on their behalf, with neither of us prepared.   

I have been foolish in the past, in setting a precedent with a few buyers, by touring with them without a full loan package completed, (including a Desktop Underwriting certificate). I shouldn't have even made a phone call or looked at a disclosure package when they were not ready.  It became a waste of both of our resources because nothing materialized from it except for frustration and disappointment.

Yes, sharing some of this is with you is selfish on my part.

This is my job, and how I make my house payment, and I feel the need to have my time valued and respected.  But shouldn't you as well????  

I want to spare you the disappointment of losing a house you love, because you are not geared up properly.

Until you are fully committed, and geared up, I can't go forward on your behalf.  It's not simply that I won't.  I just can't.  There are too many willing to be ready, and it is in both of our best interests for me to focus on the ready, rather than the almost ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment